The sister hamlet of Mt. Tremper, was originally called Longyear, named for one of its first settlers. Farming, lumbering, and a large bluestone quarry were the main industries. With the arrival of the railroad in 1870, it took on a major change with boarding houses and seasonal vacation homes built for the incoming tourists.
- The Risely family owned the property in Mt. Pleasant since 1888. In the early days there was a grist mill, a lumber mill making barrel heads, and a huge cider mill, all operated by water power.